Saturday, March 19, 2011

I make new discoveries every day.

Never heard of Grazia Deledda until a few months ago. She was a writer. Mostly of fiction. Many of her stories are set in her native Sardinia. Where I spent the winter. Deledda died in 1936. She’s entombed in a little country church. In Nuoro, a Sardinian town. I was in the church. And walked the idyllic grounds around the place. And it’s left a lasting impression. And a desire for me to get to know Deledda. I’m starting to read English translations of her books. Deledda spent her childhood in a small isolated village, where the people spoke Logudorese, a dialect closely related to Latin. Her stories depict the life and customs of simple folk – small landowners, servants, farmers and shepherds. Deledda was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1926. And to think, I never heard of her. Until my true love, a Sardinian, introduced me to Deledda’s world. That’s the most wonderful thing about life. I make new discoveries virtually every day. –Jim Broede

No comments: