Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I'd rather they be themselves.

Some people just plain don't like me. But it doesn't bother me. I never intended to be so likeable that everyone would like me. That would be stupid. And impossible, too. I find that I'm most disliked for being myself. Being me. Some people don't want me to be me. They think it's shameful. That I'm a cad. So much of what they abhor. But I write this all off. Because they don't know me. Or maybe because at times I can be a cad. I like to poke fun at people that dislike me. Because they amuse me. They are very entertaining. Even to the point that I tend to like many of 'em. I don't consider them enemies. And maybe in a round-about way I'm learning to love my so-called enemies. I make them less an enemy. And more an acquaintance. Maybe even a friend. Yes, I think it's possible to have a friend that dislikes me. Some of 'em would like to remake me. Into the image they desire. That's not very friendly. But I don't require my friends to be friendly. I'd rather that they be themselves. Even if they are asses. --Jim Broede

No comments: