Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I'm going flag-shopping.

I didn't bring back everything I meant to. From Sardinia. Where I spent the winter. Yes, I wanted the Italian flag. And the Sardinian flag. So that I could fly both of 'em on my premises in Minnesota. Normally, I'm not a flag waver. I have no particular desire to fly the American flag. Because I abhor the idea of being a super patriot, American-style. Just going through the motions. Such as flying the flag or reciting the pledge of allegiance or singing the national anthem. But I feel more a sense of closeness and nostalgia to Sardinia and Italy. Because it's the homeland of my true love. The love I feel for her runneth over. To her homeland. I think of Sardinia as Paradise. Because I associate it with my true love. Don't know if that makes any sense. Maybe that's the nature of love. Doesn't make any sense. It just is. Brings out the desire in me. To fly the Sardinian and Italian flags. So, I'm going flag-shopping. --Jim Broede

No comments: