Saturday, March 12, 2011

We breathed a sigh of relief.

Nuoro. What a city. It's in Sardinia. And I sometimes wondered if I'd ever find my way out of Nuoro. I'd get lost trying to find an exit. Maybe it's that Nuoro is poorly signed. And the streets are labryinthian. Even my true love, my faithful guide and navigator, was perplexed. We stopped and asked for directions. Maybe it's that even the locals have difficulty finding their way out. Maybe they are trapped. For eternity. I remember a Spanish film. Think it was called 'The Exterminating Angel.' The gist of the story was that all these people were at a party. In a room. But for some unexplained reason, they couldn't find the door to get out. Maybe they were trapped. In hell, perhaps. Guess I wouldn't want to be trapped in any place. Although I might make an exception for Paradise. Nuoro is a nice city. But still, I wouldn't want to be caught there forever. Once, my true love and I had to take a route close to Nuoro in order to get home. And we consciously tried to avoid going into Nuoro proper. But despite our best efforts, we wound up in the town center. And we felt trapped. We thought maybe we'd never get out. But eventually we found our way. We got home. And we breathed a sigh of relief. --Jim Broede

No comments: