Saturday, March 26, 2011

Why Loverboy and not Lovergirl?

Maybe my cat Loverboy is a loverboy because he demands attention. He demands loving. He wants to be loved. And he’s learned that he has to give love in order to receive ample love. Loverboy is an initiator. He comes to me. He purrs. He even grooms me. As if I’m another cat. And he follows me around. Like a shadow. I happen to like that. I interpret Loverboy’s actions as genuine acts of love. But maybe he’s merely craving attention. His mate, Chenuska, likes attention, too. But not as vociferously and demanding as Loverboy. I wonder if that makes her less of a lover. Maybe my cats are teaching me something. I love ‘em both. But it’s interesting that I named Loverboy Loverboy. And I didn’t name Chenuska Lovergirl. –Jim Broede

No comments: