Friday, April 22, 2011

Humor can be a serious business.

I like to compliment intelligent people. By telling ‘em they aren’t as stupid as they look. That they are actually very smart. That’s my brand of humor. And I often tell jokes with a straight face. To try to confuse folks. Into wondering whether I’m serious or joking. Even the way I write. I may be serious. And other times, I’m trying to be funny. In sort of a serious way. To throw people off track. To make ‘em think. Sometimes, I even fool myself. I’m not sure whether I’m being serious or funny. Because I’m walking a narrow line. Occasionally, I’m talking to two people at the same time. And I want one of ‘em to take me seriously. While I make the other one laugh. I suppose humor is a funny thing. In that it can be taken in many ways. One thing I know. For certain. Humor can be a serious business. –Jim Broede

No comments: