Sunday, April 17, 2011

I give myself leeway.

I got taken to task today. For not replying to someone's emails. And I’m thinking that I can’t make everybody happy. Because that’s the nature of life. That I can’t be all things to all people. Even to the people that I dearly like. I’ve gone through stretches when I even more or less ignored my own mother and my own sister. Because at the time I thought I had more important obligations and responsibilities. Only so much one can do in a day. Or a week. Or a month. Or a lifetime, for that matter. And it ain’t all gonna get done. And I try not to go on guilt trips. Because of what I don’t do. I refuse to be made a villain or a cad. For what I don’t do. Yes, maybe I could use my time better. And be more efficient. Get more done. But that ain’t me. I insist on taking breaks. On resting. On essentially doing nothing for a while. On wasting time. On being lazy. In order to handle tomorrow. In a reasonable way. That’s why I try to give people leeway. Because I give myself leeway. --Jim Broede

No comments: