Sunday, April 17, 2011

I'm penetrating an Italian mind.

I’m learning about how Italians think. Because I sort of want to become Italian. It’s kind of late in life for me to pursue such an endeavor. I’m 75. I should have started when I was younger. But turns out I’ve met an Italian. And she’s become my true love. So I’m making some effort. I’m not real good at learning the Italian language. It’s coming slowly. Very slowly. But I’m reading Italian writers. Novelists. And journalists. And I converse with my Italian true love every day. And I’m now spending my winters in Italy. And my true love will be with me in Minnesota in summertime. It’s a nice arrangement. A nice relationship. We’ve also traveled together. In Italy. Germany. Britain. Iceland. Believe me, I’ve learned a lot about Italian ways. And Italian food. And Italian thinking. I’m immersing myself in things Italian. But I’m not gonna be able to manage it all. I’ll probably never become fluent in the Italian language. I’d rather be able to think like an Italian. To actually feel Italian. Fortunately, my true love speaks English. Actually, she teaches English and English literature. She might even teach me to speak better English. While she tries to teach me Italian. Anyway, I’m penetrating her Italian mind. And it’s delightful and wonderful. I’m learning so much. –Jim Broede

No comments: