Friday, April 29, 2011

Thank god for English translations.

I really should spend more time learning to speak Italian. But then, I often find something better to do. Better, in the sense that I think it’s a more useful way to spend my time. Such as reading books written by Grazia Deledda. A Sardinian who died in 1936. She won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1926. If I read everything Deledda has written, it’ll take me a long time. Something like 30 novels. I’m on the fourth one now. I never heard of Deledda. Until I was in Sardinia this past winter. I’m trying to learn more about Sardinian and Italian culture. Even before I learn the language. And Deledda is helping me. But she’s side-tracking me when it comes to practicing my Italian. I have Italian language software in my computer. But instead of going to it, I picked up another Deledda novel. Thank god. For English translations. –Jim Broede

No comments: