Sunday, May 22, 2011

The way Jesus would tell it.

I could become Catholic. On one condition. That I be elected pope. Of course, that ain’t gonna happen. So I’ll continue living as a free-thinker. Personally, I’d make a good pope. I’d reform the church. Considerably. For instance, I’d allow women to become priests. And I’d allow priests to marry and raise families. Just like normal people. I’d allow contraception. And even abortions. But I’d discourage abortions. Preferring other alternatives. Such as adoption. Oh, and another thing. I’d divest the church of many of its valued treasures. And money. I’d raid the church coffers to aid the poor and the destitute. And instead of building more churches and cathedrals, I’d go for more outdoor masses/services. Under the canopy of the sky. And I’d tell the church hierarchy to quit wearing those silly hats and robes. That it would be all right to dress in jeans and sport shirts. And then I’d suggest better sermons. Telling it just the way Jesus would tell it. Instead of in the usual distorted terms. –Jim Broede

No comments: