Friday, June 17, 2011

It's all a big joke.

I wonder what it would have been like to be Adam. The only man on Earth. Maybe he’s only a myth. And never existed. But that doesn’t stop me from imagining life in Eden. In Paradise. And being able to have a direct dialogue with god himself. My so-called creator. I suppose I would have griped. Because god didn’t make me his equal. Made me subservient. Chances are god didn’t want competition. He wanted to populate Earth with lesser lights. With relatively obedient creatures. Didn’t want poor Adam picking fruit from the tree of knowledge, and actually eating it. And Adam would have been stupid enough to obey. If not tempted by Eve. She started the whole mess. Of course, if all this stuff is true, I’m a descendant of Adam and Eve. And I wonder if they’d be proud of me. For suggesting that maybe they should have used their new-found knowledge to carry on a better dialogue with god. Seems to me it wasn’t really a dialogue. More a monologue. From god himself. Acting like a dictator. An overseer. The owner of the plantation. Maybe it wasn’t really knowledge growing on that tree. But some kind of hoax. Disguised as knowledge. To keep Adam and Eve subservient. Or maybe it was just a joke. A practical joke. To lead this couple astray. To see what would happen. If they were allowed to raise a family. My god. That’s why I’m here. It’s all a big joke. –Jim Broede

No comments: