Friday, July 15, 2011

Beyond heartbreak. To exotic.

My Chicago Cubs keep finding new and exotic ways to lose baseball games. I used to call many of the losses heartbreaking. But now I think more positively. They’re really exotic. Novel. Creative. Like last night, the Cubs had a nifty 2-0 lead in the 9th inning. And they could just as easily left their successful starting pitcher in the game. To finish the job. But instead, the Cubs opt for a shaky closer to nail down the final three outs. Instead, he walks the first three batters on 13 pitches. And then gives up a bases clearing double. And lo and behold, the Cubs are behind, 3-2. Eventually losing by 6-3. Years ago, I would have considered that a heart-breaking loss. But now I expect it. I ask myself during each game, how are the Cubs gonna come up with a new way to lose? And sure enough, they don’t disappoint. They find a new way. They’ve gone beyond heartbreak. To positively exotic. –Jim Broede

No comments: