Sunday, July 17, 2011

Thank you, Canada.

Summer in Minnesota can be mean. Downright mean for a few days. When the almost inevitable tropical heat wave hits. We’re in one now. In the Twin Cities area. Daily temperatures in the mid-90s. But worse yet, the humidity is ungawdly high. Dew points in the mid-70s. Maybe even 80. And there’s no relief in sight for at least 5 days. Oh, I can’t complain. Because I have air-conditioning. But still, I get a little shaky when I look out the moisture-laden windows. Moisture dripping. Like in a sauna bath. Fortunately, the drips are on the outside. And I’m inside. But that won’t stop me from soon venturing out. For my daily exercise. On a bicycle. Fortunately, I can jump into a lake. Or come indoors. To air-conditioned comfort. And live like an Athenian. Sure beats being a Spartan. And living without the cooling effect. I also thank god for Canada. Sooner or later, cool Canadian air will drift down. And bless us Minnesotans. Thank you, Canada. –Jim Broede

No comments: