Saturday, August 13, 2011

A horrid thought. Makes me shudder.

Maybe it’s just a matter of time before I set up permanent residence in Sardinia. Because I’m fast losing faith in America. Some day soon I won’t wanna be an American any more. Sad thing to say, I know. But I don’t like the direction my country is going. It’s no longer the land of the free and the home of the brave. We have right wing kooks taking over. And an ever-widening gap between the rich and the poor. This isn’t what America was supposed to be. It’s something gawd-awful. I don’t know if this pathetic trend can be stemmed. I suspect not. And if that proves so, I’ll leave. I’ll find another country. One that may still be far from perfect. But better than the USA. I want to reside in a left-leaning place. Politically. Economically. Socially. I’ve found a city in Sardinia where the main street is named after a dead leftist patriot. That’s a good sign. You won’t find such a place in America. Instead, one may find a main street named after a living right wing demigod. That’s too much for me to take. I’ve survived in America in recent years by hiding out. In my cocoon. My own little world. At least that keeps me sane. And feeling sheltered. But it’s possible that some day my cocoon won’t be safe any more. It’s a horrid thought. Makes me shudder. –Jim Broede

No comments: