Monday, August 22, 2011

I'll settle for a look from a distance.

I like to think there’s a solution to every problem. Maybe I’m wrong about that. But still, it’s what I believe. Maybe one can’t find a solution immediately. But somewhere out there, a solution exists. It’s just a matter of finding it. I hear people lament. That they aren’t in love with life. And that makes them depressed. Maybe even suicidal. Makes me wonder if it’s absolutely necessary to be in love to still enjoy life. To some tolerable degree. And that even an unending search for love can be a captivating pursuit. Seems to me that life isn’t a total loss. As long as one keeps searching. Looking around the corner. Maybe expecting success. Some day. It’s a little like being a Chicago Cubs fan. I want ‘em to have a winning season. And go on to the World Series. And win it all. And the Cubs may never achieve that dream in my lifetime. But still, being a Cubs fan has been a rewarding experience. I get great pleasure in the near misses. The genuine effort. One doesn’t have to reach the top of the mountain to be happy. I’ll settle for a look at the mountain peak. From a distance. –Jim Broede

No comments: