Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I'm free to try -- and fail.

I'm free. Because I choose to be free. Or maybe it's that I've convinced myself that I am free. When I'm not. Does it matter? Maybe freedom is a state of mind. Thing is that my circumstances limit my freedom. Maybe I can't afford to do everything. Such as travel around the world three times a year. Or even once, maybe. But then, I ask myself, do I really want to do that? And the answer is that I have no overwhelming desire to do it. Maybe if I had the desire, I'd find a way. To do lots of things that I don't do. I tell myself that I have to be realistic. But then again, I'm often unrealistic. I pursue dreams. Even impossible dreams. Just for the heck of it. For the sake of merely trying the impossible. Knowing that I'm gonna fail. In pursuit of a losing cause. But that's precisely what makes me feel free. I'm free to try. To put my thoughts and desires to a test. --Jim Broede

No comments: