Thursday, August 18, 2011

I'm scared as hell.

I wonder what it was like living in Germany when Hitler was in power. And what I would have done. As an individual. Let’s say I was a young man. An adult. Would I have served in the German Army during World War II? Would I have gone along with the Hitler craze? Or would I have resisted? And if so, what would have happened to me? Or would I have merely tried to fade into the background? And not be noticed. Maybe I would have fled Germany. So I wouldn’t be forced to go along with madman politics. Sometimes, I wonder if I’m faced with a similar dilemma today. In the USA. I’m fearful. That some day Rick Perry or Michele Bachmann could come to power. Maybe that’s not equivalent to a Hitler. But still, it’s scary. Has me thinking that I’d want to leave. Flee. I’m not young any more. Would that have made a difference? If I had been an old man in Nazi Germany? Maybe I would have merely retreated to my cocoon. And waited things out. But maybe I would have fled. To the USA instead. Especially if I had a true love living there. She could house me. Accept me. Give me refuge. Yes, maybe I would have taken advantage of the opportunity. To leave Germany. Rather than remain in hell. Now it’s another time. And I’m thinking about fleeing the USA. Fleeing a new kind of potential political hell. Especially if the wild-eyed Tea Party and the Republican conservatives seize control. I wouldn’t want to live under them any more than I would have wanted to live under a Nazi regime. No, they aren’t one and the same. But they both scare the hell out of me. –Jim Broede

No comments: