Monday, September 26, 2011

I'm always looking for a story.

I find it difficult preparing for a trip abroad. Packing. Taking care of details back at home. And making sure that I don't forget this or that. As I approach the day of departure, I get a little nervous. And it's difficult for me to sleep the night before. But once I board the plane, I lean back. Take a deep breath. And smile at the thought that I'll soon be with my Italian true love. And inevitably I look around. Striking up a conversation with the person next to me. A stranger. And I tell myself I will know something very significant about that stranger before I step off the plane. That's the way I operate. Didn't always do that. But I've cultivated my innate curiosity. And I utilize my training as a writer. For newspapers. I'm always looking for a story. --Jim Broede

No comments: