Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Let's redistribute the wealth.

The 400 richest Americans control more wealth than the bottom 150 million Americans. Yes, I know that's a hard statistic to grasp. But it's evidence that truth can be stranger than fiction. And it's an example that the USA isn't a poor nation. The wealth is there. But most of it is controlled by extraordinarily few people. The super rich. The filthy rich. The obscenely rich. Personally, I'd like to see a more equal distribution of wealth. I don't know how that's accomplished. But there must be multiple ways. I'm for whatever works. My guess is that those 400 rich people have more political power than the 150 million. And that's why the rich are rich and getting richer. While the rest of us get poorer and poorer. Doesn't seem fair to me. But then, what do I know? Maybe life ain't fair. I'm sort of satisfied with my lot. I'm not hurtin' all that much. Maybe not at all. Because I'm in love and soon headed for Sardinia for a few months. I have a little bit of money. Including a monthly pension and social security check. I own my own home, too. And I'm in good health. At age 76. So maybe I shouldn't complain. But still, I think there's something wrong with America and the world. Seems to me it's immoral to have such a wide gap between the rich and the poor. Maybe something should be done about it. Dare I suggest a redistribution of the wealth? --Jim Broede

No comments: