Thursday, September 15, 2011

Making amends for a political life.

If I were Barack Obama, I would announce that I'm not gonna seek reelection. That I've had enough. That I made a mistake running for president. Because I really don't want the job. That I'll try my level best in the next 16 months to make a credible, decent effort at being president. Because I'm here now. And it's the right thing to do. But that it's also right for me to quit. To settle for one term. Because I'm really not cut out for this kind of life. I can't stand politicians. Or politics. I have better things to do with my life. I might even follow Jim Broede's advice. And move to Sardinia. So that I could go walking daily along the many beaches. Contemplating the spiritual side of life. Jim tells me that will make me feel happy. And fulfilled. Certainly more fulfilled than if I were living in the White House for another four years. I thought I could change Washington. But now I know better. Instead, there's danger that Washington will change me. Corrupt me. I once thought that I could make a difference. Being president. Being in a position of political power. But I don't wanna exercise that kind of power. It'd indecent. And I wanna live a decent life. Making amends for my time in the political realm. --Jim Broede

No comments: