Thursday, November 17, 2011

Little wonder I have to work out.

I like to go to the grocery store. Daily. Just to look around. I'm fascinated by the products. So many of 'em. Labeled in the Italian language. Here in Sardinia. My true love isn't big on shopping. For groceries. She'd rather make only two or three trips a week to the store. But I find it difficult passing by a grocery store when I go on my daily walks. I invariably find something we need. Maybe a jar of peaches. Or bread. Pastries, too. Or something called flan. A custard-like dessert. I seldom find flan in American grocery stores. But it's popular in Italy. Almost every grocery has it. Ice cream, too. Only here it's called gelato. My favorite flavor is stracciatella. Which is vanilla with chocolate chips mixed in. There's also a stracciatella yogurt. Very good. Italian breads are delicious. So many kinds. Same goes for cheese. And the beer. I'm partial to Italian beers. Out of respect. But it's hard to resist foreign imports. From Spain, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Russia. I buy single cans. Cheap compared to American prices for imports. I seldom buy pasta. Because I leave that strictly to my true love. She's a pasta expert. She knows everything about pastas. She makes good pasta dishes. But I wish she'd go heavier on the tomato sauces. Anyway, little wonder that I have to work out continuously. At least several hours a day. Otherwise, I'd start to resemble a blimp. --Jim Broede

No comments: