Sunday, January 29, 2012

I'd change the priorities.

The circus is coming to town. Yes, to Carbonia. In Sardinia. And I and just about everybody knows it. Because signs are plastered all over the city. Including on street light poles. One can hardly travel more than 100 feet without seeing big colorful circus posters. Maybe too many. And I'm wondering if there's an ordinance that prohibits attaching these placards on the light poles. Because today I saw scores of the posters torn down on one of the more scenic entry routes into town. Both sides of the streets are lined by beautiful pine trees. And the posters are detracting eyesores, or so it seems to me. I suspect city crews tore down the posters. And maybe directed the circus people to bring down the remainder soon. We'll see. But if it was the city that ripped down the posters, the crews didn't bother to clean up. Instead, the posters are strewn all over. On the sidewalks. On the boulevards. Blending in with beer bottles and the other litter along the roadsides. Cities all over Italy seem to be indifferent when it comes to litter. But maybe they want to keep their light poles free of advertising. Personally, I'd change the priorities. Pick up the litter and let the circus advertise for a few days. --Jim Broede

No comments: