Friday, January 6, 2012

I'll make Italians chuckle.

My Italian true love discourages me from using self-deprecating or tongue-in-cheek humor. Especially here in Sardinia. Because Italians often don't understand that sort of humor. They tend to take such stuff literally. Seriously. For instance, when I tell Italians that I don't speak their language, I tell them in Italian that I'm stupid and lazy. Well, they don't laugh. They think I really mean that I am stupid and lazy. Of course, I'm intelligent. A genius. Which is also meant to be funny. I'm joshing. Kidding. I'm trying to lighten up the conversation. And I want everyone to know that I don't take myself too seriously. I am capable of poking fun at myself. And at others, too. My philosophy is to have a good time. Maybe in my old-age, I'll pursue a new career. As a stand-up comedian. Maybe I'll make it some day to Letterman or Leno. If not on an Italian comedy show. My true love didn't know what the term tongue-in-cheek meant. Until I explained it to her. Guess I'm trying to Americanize her. While she tries to Italianize me. But one thing's for certain. She's never gonna rob me of my sense of humor. Even if I can't make every Italian laugh. Uproarishly. But I'll make 'em chuckle. One way or another. --Jim Broede

No comments: