Wednesday, February 22, 2012

'Christianity has become a joke.'

Christians. They are getting sillier. All of the time. At least the ones I know. Thank gawd. I'm not a Christian. I was brought up as a Christian. Went to Sunday school. Was confirmed. Went to a church-related college. I was even a deacon in a Christian church. And I still audit courses occasionally at a local seminary. But I've seen the light. I don't call myself a Christian any more. I'm spiritual. But not religious. A free-thinker. Or a freelance monotheist. I'm independent. I have a direct line to god. My god. I don't allow others to define me. Or to define my god. I'm certain that if Jesus were walking on Earth today, he'd want nothing to do with modern-day Christianity. It ain't his kind of worship. Seems to me that Jesus would be a free-thinker. He'd tell conservative Christians to get lost. That they've got it all wrong. That they're a bunch of selfish jerks. Judgmental idiots. No better than self-serving politicians. Jesus would preach the Sermon on the Mount. He'd have us scrap capitalism. He'd have us demolish the churches. And think of Mother Earth and the cosmos as one vast open-air church. We'd have to learn to love our neighbors. And to love life. To become true lovers. He'd be aghast at the hate-filled, nonsensical world that we've created. But Jesus probably would take it all in a humorous vein. If he came to America, he'd recognize the clowns, the court jesters. Yes, the Republicans running for president. Making off as if they're Christians. "My gawd,' he'd declare. 'Christianity has become a joke.' --Jim Broede

No comments: