Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A reason to live forever.

I'm gonna spend 17 days in Arizona. In March. More or less taking spring training with the Chicago Cubs. Watching exhibition games. Nine in Mesa. And four in other suburbs of Phoenix. Yes, I'm indulging myself. Making the most out of life. Doing what I wanna do. Such as spending this past autumn and much of winter in Sardinia. With my Italian true love. Once upon a time, living like this was a pipe dream. Or not a dream at all. Because it was stuff I didn't even imagine doing. Instead, I've learned to take life as it comes. And by making the best of it. By pursuing love. And happiness. Cultivating strangers. And friends. I'm a writer. Used to write for newspapers. I suppose that makes me a journalist. I retired in 1998. But maybe I didn't. Because I still write. Whatever I want to write. This blog, for instance. I write more now than before I retired. And I don't take orders or direction from an editor. I'm my own boss now. I do and live and write as I please. Seems to me that I earned this freedom. By living long enough to retire. That's my good fortune. Seems that the older I get, the more I enjoy and appreciate and savor life. Makes me wanna live forever. If god can live forever, why not me? I have no desire to usurp god. I just want the opportunity to live as long as god. Seems like a fair thing. That way I'm pretty sure that I'll see the day when the Chicago Cubs win the World Series. --Jim Broede

No comments: