Thursday, February 23, 2012

Life is a two-way street.

I like certain people. Drawn to them naturally. On first meeting. I don't always know what it is. Maybe the vibes. That pull us together. And instantly, know I'm supposed to know this being. We were supposed to meet. It was ordained. On my way back to the U.S. a couple weeks ago, it was the bus driver in Beauvais in France. Elisabeth. But it's far more than Elisabeth. Scores of people. And they effect my life in different ways. But significant and meaningful ways. Some have become good friends. Rosie. Cherie. Veralise. Others are more or less casual acquaintances. Like the clerk/cashier in the grocery store that I frequent. Her name is Darla. But whenever she's on duty, I go to her line. Even if I have to wait for an extra long time. Because I like her. More than any of the other clerks. We joke. We kid. There's a feeling of camaraderie. I haven't bothered to learn the names of other clerks. But I know Darla. Why Darla? Because I sense that it's important to know Darla. Yes, it was meant to be. Very similar to the way I found my Italian true love. It was supposed to happen. Fated. Our paths were supposed to cross. For a purpose. Meaningful and significant. One became my true love. Others became friends. Or acquaintances. There's a difference, of course. There's only one true love. But friends are special, too. In very nice ways. Acquaintances, too. But less special than friends. Maybe it's that I'm a romantic idealist. I believe in destiny. That much of life is pre-ordained. Not everything. I still have free will. I'm able to pick and choose my course. To cultivate certain people. To ignore others. The ultimate decision is left to me. Albeit, my true love, my friends, my acquaintances play a role, too. They've gotta contribute. Life is a two-way street. --Jim Broede

No comments: