Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Forgiveness -- an overlooked word.

I wanna respect people's religions. Therefore, I wouldn't burn the likes of the Bible or the Koran. But if such burnings happened, and even if it was intentional, perpetrated by hateful bigots, I'd want Christians and Muslims to respond/react in a civilized manner. Without violence. The same way that I'd react if someone insulted me. I'd not become violent. Unless it was in self-defense. Someone wanting to kill me or physically harm me. Book-burning could be construed as a hostile act. But that's all it is. A book-burning. A non-violent exercise. Admittedly, an act of disrespect. Which ain't good. But no reason to retaliate by killing the perpetrator. I happen to be opposed to capital punishment. Even for a murderer. Yet I know many Christians and Muslims who'd favor killing people who haven't killed anyone. Wishing death for someone who merely burns a sacred text. A text that can be easily replaced. The words still exist. In millions and millions of copies of the Bible and the Koran. I've read 'em both. And seems to me, they both preach forgiveness. Yes, a very meaningful word. Often overlooked by religious zealots/fanatics. --Jim Broede

No comments: