Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I wanna build a snowman.

Strange thing is happening. I'm looking forward to a snowstorm. A true winter storm. Haven't been in one for two years now. Because my winters have been spent in Sardinia. In a place where we rarely get snow or freezing temperatures. But I've returned to Minnesota for a few weeks. Before taking off for Arizona next week for spring training with my beloved Chicago Cubs. Anyway, if the weather forecast holds up, we'll be hit by a bona fide snowstorm Tuesday afternoon and into Wednesday. Starting with rain and sleet and then turning to heavy snow. I've been away from a sock-a-roo of a snowstorm for so long --that I'm welcoming this one. With open arms and an open heart. For old times sake. I have my snow shovel at the ready. On my back porch. And I'm gonna do my daily 10 miles of walking this morning. Before the storm hits. And then I'll walk again during the height of the storm. Just for the hell of it. To remind myself what it's like. It's been a mild and almost snowless winter in my part of Minnesota, about 30 miles north of St. Paul/Minneapolis. Not a single snow emergency in the Twin Cities. When on-street parking restrictions go into effect so that plows can make cleans sweeps. Of course, the weather forecast could be wrong. Maybe the storm will swing north or south of us. And miss us entirely. That would make me disappointed. Imagine that. A disappointed me. I wanna build a snowman. --Jim Broede

No comments: