Saturday, April 21, 2012

I'm turned on by lively discussion.

I'd make a good teacher. Or so I believe. I tell my Italian true love that. She's a teacher. Don't know if she believes me. I'd be unorthodox. She thinks that might be a turn off for people who hire teachers. But I'd hope not. Because that's precisely what's needed. Better teaching methods. Unorthodox ones. No more lectures. In fact, that's what I'm starting to hear some so-called experts advocate. They wanna steer clear of the 90-minute lecture. Because it's usually boring. And hard to grasp everything. Because it's poured out so quickly. Instead, it's better to involve students. In a discussion. Back and forth. With lots of questions. From the teacher. From the students. That's a more effective way to absorb the subject, isn't it? I was almost always bored by lectures. But when everybody in class participated. In a lively discussion. I was turned on. --Jim Broede

No comments: