Saturday, April 21, 2012

Maybe I'm not so cheap after all.

Three years ago, I bought a used multi-geared bicycle. For $89. Maybe because I'm cheap. A new one of like-make would have cost $500. So it was a wise move. Buying used. Despite the bike being 25 years old. It really wasn't used that much. The previous owner apparently was a lazy guy. I've probably put on more miles in a few months than he did in a lifetime. And the repairs have been minimal. Despite my excessive use. But finally, a few things are wearing out. Including the crankshaft. Used to be that I didn't even know what a crankshaft was. Anyway, I took the bicycle in to the repair shop. And the estimate was $200-plus. They suggested I'd be better off buying a new bicycle. But the price scared me. Yes, because I'm a cheapskate. For instance, I drive cars until they are in danger of rusting in half. I get well over 200,000 miles on my vehicles. Right now I'm driving a vintage 1991 Mercury Cougar and a 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass. Well, I'm not about to give up yet on my bicycle. I got a good deal. Fixed only what needed to be fixed to make the bicycle move again. For only $61. I pedaled for 30 miles last night. And I'm gonna log 50 miles today. Maybe I won't get 200,000 on the bicycle. But don't count out 100,000. Even if I eventually have to spend more for repairs than the cost of a new bicycle. So maybe I'm not so cheap after all. --Jim Broede

No comments: