Saturday, April 21, 2012

Returning to his roots.

My neighbor, Dennis, lived a half-mile away for 20 years. Before I got to know his name. Just a couple weeks ago. And lo and behold. He picks up and moves away. Back to Detroit, where he came from. I waved goodbye to him as he sped away in a big yellow rental moving van. Fortunately, I got to know a little bit about Dennis before he left. Better late than never. That's the way of my life. A bit late. A slow learner. Slow to do the right thing. But I get it right eventually. Just give me time. Dennis worked at the Ford plant in Dearborn, Michigan, when he got transferred to the Ford plant in St. Paul. In Minnesota. Two decades ago. And he bought a home on Forest Lake. And fell in love with the place. Especially after he retired a few years ago. One of Dennis' sons followed in dad's footsteps, and worked at the Ford plant in St. Paul. Until he was recently transferred to the revitalized Ford plant in Dearborn. So the family is making full circle. Back to where everything started. Where Dennis grew up. Dennis is following his son back to the homeland. 'I'm going to miss Minnesota,' Dennis said. 'But I want to be with family. My roots are in Michigan.' --Jim Broede

No comments: