Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mutual disrespect.

One of my longtime neighbors is moving. Dennis has sold his home on the lake. And is headed for the Detroit area. He's moving all of his stuff himself. In a big rental moving van. It's gonna take several trips. Takes him 11 to 15 hours of driving time. One way. He has a choice. Going through the upper peninsula of Northern Michigan. Or going south, through Chicago and across southern Wisconsin. He's chosen the latter course. Dennis has been my neighbor for 20 years. But I didn't even get to know his name. Until I saw him moving. Dennis says he's gonna miss Forest Lake. And the neighborhood. But he can stay in touch. By reading my blog. I started talking politics with Dennis. About the Trayvon Martin shooting in Florida. Dennis thinks the shooter, George Zimmerman, was justified in killing unarmed Trayvon. Yes, like many Americans, he's formed an opinion. Before a trial. Before knowing the facts. We're hasty to make judgments. Based on our biases. I suspect that Dennis is rather conservative. That is, when it comes to politics. I'm liberal. So Dennis and I won't see eye to eye. Or heart to heart. But still, we can like each other. Respect each other. That doesn't always happen. Especially in America. Where we are sharply divided on politics. I'm distrustful of ultra conservative Republicans. And they're distrustful of me. Often we show each other mutual disrespect. Too bad, isn't it? --Jim Broede

No comments: