Monday, April 23, 2012

A sign that I'm a believer.

Why are bad people bad? I see people being judged all the time. As bad. As good. That makes me curious. Usually, one can figure out why good people are good. But seems to me many of us don't even ask why bad people are bad. Instead, we just write them off. We don't inquire. We don't make it our business. I wonder why. Maybe it's too difficult to figure it out. Or maybe it's fear -- that we'd start to understand and might have to show some empathy. Another thing. Just what is 'bad'? Maybe we've formed a preconceived notion of 'bad' and decided it ain't 'good.' Therefore, it has to be 'bad.' I tell my friends and acquaintances that I don't think anyone is totally bad. Not even Hitler. Everyone has a saving grace or two. Of course, I could be wrong. But that would be a horrid thought. I begin to wonder if god would have created someone that's totally, completely, 100 percent bad. Beyond redemption. Seems inconceivable. Especially if it's the god of love. But then, if there isn't a god, maybe there could be totally 'bad' people. But since my position is that nobody is totally bad, that must be a good sign -- that I believe in god. --Jim Broede

No comments: