Thursday, May 17, 2012

On becoming a curious tailor.

I have friends that I leave alone. Because I sense they want to be left alone. They live in the same town. Close by. But still, I leave them alone. Even when they are having difficulty. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do. Maybe friends are supposed to intervene. And sometimes, I do. But other times, I don't. Because I expect them to ask for help. If they need it. If they want it. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Maybe I shouldn't wait for an invitation. Funny thing. I'll help a stranger who isn't a friend. Making inquiries. Out of curiosity. At the same time that I ignore a friend. Out of respect for privacy. Makes me wonder why I'd foist myself on a stranger, but not on a friend. Although, come to think of it, there are certain friends that need foisting. When they don't want it. Makes me think I have to become a curious intervening tailor. When dealing with friends. --Jim Broede

No comments: