Thursday, May 3, 2012

Wouldn't trade love for anything.

If I expect the worst to happen, it usually does. Especially when it comes to the Chicago Cubs, my favorite baseball team. For instance, today the Cubs went into he ninth inning leading Cincinnati by 3-0. The Cubs starter was breezing along. With a three-hitter. Pitching superb baseball. But the Cubs manager decided to bring in his closer to get the final three outs. And I had a terrible feeling. That the Cubs would blow the game. Sure enough, the closer was ineffective. Walked three batters. Gave up a hit. And the Cubs committed an error. Cincinnati tied the game in the 9th. And then pushed across the winning run in the 10th. Yes, the Cubs lost, 4-3. In typical Cubs fashion. Used to be I'd consider such a loss a heartbreaker. But I've toughened up. I expect the worst. I've become a negative thinker when it comes to Cubs baseball. No way will the Cubs ever win a World Series. Not in my lifetime. They haven't won one since 1908. Long before I was born. And they won't win another World Series. Even if I live to be 200. Because when it comes to Cubs baseball, I'm a negative thinker. Fully. Completely. As for other aspects of my life, I'm a positive thinker. Especially when it comes to love. I'm a romantic idealist. I'm in love with life. Despite my addiction to the terrible Cubs. Knowing full well, they'll always be losers. Never going all the way. I accept that. In some respects, maybe that makes me a truly positive thinker. Because I've learned acceptance. I accept the fact that I can't have everything. Yes, love is sufficient. That makes me happy enough. I wouldn't trade love for the Cubs fulfilling my impossible dream. --Jim Broede

No comments: