Saturday, June 9, 2012

The coup de grace

My Chicago Cubs are in town. In Minneapolis. To play a weekend series of baseball games with the Minnesota Twins. In past years, when the Cubs showed up for interlegue play, I'd get premium tickets. Go to the games. Like a loyal Cubs enthusiast. But this time around, I decided not to go. Though I did listen to most of Friday night's game. On the radio. As I rode my bicycle. A one-mile route. Over and over again. To ease the tension. It was a see-saw game. The lead changing several times. And it looked good in the eighth inning. When the Cubs came from behind to take a 7-6 lead. On a two-run homer. And I dreamed of a satisfying win. But I knew better. I turned off the game. Knowing the script. Knowing that the Cubs would find a way to lose. Like they almost always do. And sure enough. Later last night, after the game was over, I checked it out. The Cubs gave up a run in the 9th inning, and the game went into the 10th. When the Cubs lost. The final was 8-7. Really, it was unnecessary to check. Because I'm a Cubs fan. I know the routine. The inevitable. The Cubs have mastered the art of losing. But I still accept the Cubs. More or less unconditionally. Only thing, I try to avoid watching the ending. The final moment of truth. When the opponent applies the coup de grace. --Jim Broede

No comments: