Sunday, June 3, 2012

True liberals.

Guess I'd rather live in a politically liberal-oriented world than a politically conservative-oriented world. That's just me. Of course, I can't always have my wish. Because the world is the world. And I'm bound to accept what is -- to some degree. I'm still able to escape. To create my own environs. My cocoon. Which allows me to more or less ignore what's happening outside my cocoon. In a sense, I create my own world. My little niche. That allows me to survive. I could have found a way to even live happily under the most despotic of regimes. By becoming sort of a hermit. Staying out of the mainstream. Hiding. Being inconspicuous. I am more or less like that now. Even in my immediate neighborhood. I've been around the place for 40 or 50 years. And I recently noted that I don't know many of my neighbors. Not even their names. But the same goes for my neighbors. They don't know me. Other than superficially. We go our separate ways. Live our separate lives. I'm not exactly complaining about that. Just accepting it as reality. Quite possibly a good reality. Especially when it comes to privacy. But still, I'm making an effort to get to know my neighbors. Better. Without them necessarily getting to know me. Better. I don't mind treding down a one-way street. Knowing people better than they know me. Maybe even knowing people better than they know themselves. That can be a plus. Makes people predictable. Actually, the people I like most are unpredictable. They have evolving minds. They aren't static. They are constantly becoming new beings. Emerging. Not afraid to travel beyond the horizon. Into new worlds. In other words, they ain't conservative. They are true liberals. --Jim Broede

No comments: