Thursday, July 5, 2012

The advantage of being older.

I have more freedom and flexibility than most people. Because I'm not tied down to a job. I'm retired. Unemployed. On my own. Therefore, I understand that it's more difficult for many of my friends to make decisions about their lives. Than it is for me. That's one reason why I don't put demands or pressure on my friends. When I was younger, I was tied down. Locked in. Committed in so many ways. In that sense, I wasn't nearly as free as I am today. I like my freedom. But there's also an advantage to being younger and encumbered. Gives one more time. One still has the prospect of another 30 years or more of good living. In far less than 30 years, I'll be long gone. Doesn't really bother me. It's a fact of life and death. Which I accept. I'm happy being older. There are trade-offs. Not the least being the additional freedom that comes with being older. The experience of having lived 76 years also has been helpful. Taught me to live one day at a time. And to better understand the notion/concept of love. And to put it all to practical use. --Jim Broede

No comments: