Monday, July 9, 2012

On turning off the caring.

I talked to a professional care-giver the other day. In my neighborhood. One that cautioned me against sticking my nose into a family situation. A marital break-up. I thought that maybe intervention would be the right and caring thing. To inquire. To see if one can be of any help. To just ask, 'How are you holding up? Is there anything I can do?' Anyway, the care-giver advised steering clear of the matter. But that seems so uncaring. But hey, maybe a professional care-giver knows more than I. But I followed my instincts. Because I care in my own particular, non-professional way. Not because I'm nosey. But because I care. And I found out a few things. That I was gonna share with the professional care-giver. But she didn't wanna hear about it. She'd rather not know. Makes me think that professional care-givers can handle only so much. At some point, some of 'em have to turn off the caring. I understand. --Jim Broede

No comments: