Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Something even worse than death.

I had to turn off the TV the other night. Because I was getting sick. Upset, really. Horrified by what I was learning. About some American soldiers. That survived wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Thousands of 'em. They had lost limbs. Some of 'em multiple limbs. Even four soldiers that had lost both arms and both legs. All they had left were their torsos and heads. Makes me think they'd be better off dead. I shudder at the thought. But that's the wonder of modern medicine and modern surgery. One can be kept alive from the gravest of wounds. Some of the soldiers have returned home. To young wives that they married just before their departure to war zones. My guess is that many of the marriages won't last. Because the wives are becoming care-givers. With extraordinary responsibilities. Yes, love is being put to ultimate tests. Meanwhile, I hear about the casualties of war. The deaths. But seems to me, there's something even worse than death. --Jim Broede

No comments: