Wednesday, September 26, 2012

One hopes it never happens.

A neighbor. She's a good-hearted soul. Kind. Became a part-time care-giver. For a couple's elderly parents. Both with Alzheimer's. The parents are living with their daughter and son-in-law. A few doors down from me. I pitch in. And try to help, too. With some degree of care-giving. To provide the main care-givers some relief. Because I know their dilemma. From experience. Having cared for my dear sweet wife Jeanne. For 13 years. Wonder how I did it. But I did. I wasn't very good at it initially. But I got better and better at it. From on-the-job training. And became a darn good and loving care-giver, if I may say so. Didn't think I had it in me. But Alzheimer's puts one's love to the test. Believe me. Anyway, the good-hearted neighbor. She upped and quit the other day. Couldn't handle it any more. Emotionally. Doesn't surprise me. But I respect her. A whole lot. For giving it a try. At least now she understands what Alzheimer care-givers go through. Something far worse than her own experience. Because she was able to get away. Daily. For some amount of respite. But even that wasn't enough. Best to recognize it. And maybe leave care-giving up to others. Really, that's no shame, I tell her. You tried. That's far more than some do. Perhaps many. At least she understands the emotional toll. Even though it's from a relative distance. It's not her parents. Or her spouse. But imagine if it were. Yes, it's a scary thought. One hopes it never happens. But all too often, it does. --Jim Broede 

No comments: