Monday, October 8, 2012

Enough to make me an optimist.

I'm an optimist. Except when it comes to American politics. Usually, I expect the worst to happen. Or at least I fear it's gonna happen. I feared that George Bush would spend eight years as president. And it happened. I was happy that Barack Obama won in 2008. But now I dread the possibility that Mitt Romney will win. And what that means for America. Oh, I know the polls today still give Obama a 75 percent chance of winning a second term. But that's down from 84 percent only a week ago. Before Obama bungled his debate with Romney. Of course, Obama could recover. And besides, he still holds a narrow advantage in the polls. But I'm a pessimist. Because we are talking about American politics. A system of politic pretty much rigged. By the plutocrats. The people with money can and do influence the outcomes. Money is power. And power is money. Especially when it comes to politics on the national level. I'd like to have a voice. Influence. But I don't. And therefore, I have to grudgingly accept whatever happens. Which means my country may be taken over by lunatic fringe conservative Republicans. Nothing I can do about it. Other than to be thankful that I have an Italian true love. And I can go live with her in Sardinia. I can frequent the beaches on the Mediterranean Sea. And read good books. And go for long walks. And cavort with my true love. That's enough to make me a happy camper. Yes, a genuine optimist. --Jim Broede 

No comments: