Saturday, October 13, 2012

It's gawd's fault. Not mine.

Occasionally, I go into a mental funk. Which means thinking in a downbeat and negative way. Mostly, I'm upbeat and positive. The nice thing is that I always get back on track again. Because I've trained myself.  To put life in proper perspective. With a reminder. That there are certain things/events over which I have no control. Such as the outcome of a baseball game or an election or the weather. I gotta learn acceptance. For instance, if Mitt Romney becomes president. Means that's how it was fated. Doesn't matter how much I wish it would be otherwise. It just is. And if I wanna be happy, it's best to get on with the rest of my life. Maybe in Sardinia with my Italian true love. Rather than in the USA. Yes, that's something over which I have control. I can do it. It's a viable option. One that could make me happy. That's my major goal in life. The pursuit of happiness. Used to be that when my Chicago Cubs had a miserable baseball season, I was miserable, too. Not any more. Actually, I learned to appreciate the benefits of the Cubs losing. Because then they don't get into post season playoffs. Where they might lose a heartbreaking game. Similar to what happened last night to the Washington Nationals. In a decisive playoff game, the Nationals blew a 6-0 lead and lost to the St. Louis Cardinals in the 9th inning. That made true blue National fans feel miserable. Therefore, I thank gawd that I'm a Cubs fan instead of a Nationals diehard. Of course, I should feel sad for other people. Especially if a cataclysmic event such as an earthquake takes thousands of lives. But still, I've learned acceptance. Shit happens. Over which I have absolutely no control. World War I happened. World War II happened. And if Mitt Romney wins the election, maybe there's a chance of a World War III. By thinking about it, I could go into a state of depression. But hey, if it happens, it's gawd's fault. Not mine. --Jim Broede

No comments: