Sunday, October 21, 2012

The bothersome nature of life.

Making more than small talk. I try to do that.  With my friends and acquaintances and strangers. I often ask: What's the most bothersome aspect of your life? And how do you deal with it? Of course, some will suggest that's too personal. They prefer innocuous small talk.  Which is all right.  But I prefer stimulating dialogues. I spring these questions on strangers. People I met only 10 minutes ago. Maybe they think I'm weird. Or too nosy. That's all right, too. Doesn't bother me. Thing is, I'm not really bothered by much. Because if it's something I can't change, there isn't much sense in being too bothered.  Instead, I practice acceptance. And get on with other matters. Such as things I can change. Then I work for change. So that I'm no longer bothered. --Jim Broede

No comments: