Friday, November 23, 2012

A loyal and patriotic Italian.

It’s the last thing I expected to see in my adopted town in Sardinia. A kebob joint. Especially on the main drag, known as Via Gramsci.  The last time I was in Carbonia (a city of 30,000 inhabitants) the place was occupied by a pizza parlor. Maybe it’s that the town has far too many pizza restaurants. And so something different was bound to come.  Kebobs. The Middle Eastern kind.  The business is called Ali Baba’s No. 1 Kebob.  Mostly, the kebobs are intended for take-out. But one can sit at a single table outdoors.  And munch away in public. I’ve tried to persuade my Italian true love to come dine with me. On kebobs. But she’s not quite ready. Still preferring the traditional pizza. She’s a loyal and patriotic Italian. Especially when it comes to food.  –Jim Broede

No comments: