Tuesday, December 18, 2012

An overdogging experience.

I approached a stranger yesterday. On Via Gramsci, the main street in the city of Carbonia in Sardinia. And she threw her arms around me.  Actually, her paws. She’s a big dog. Probably with some golden Labrador in her. Of course, this took me by surprise. I merely talked a few sweet nothings to her as I walked by.  I couldn’t get her off me. She kept hugging me. Tried to give me a kiss. I lurched to  nearby bench beneath a palm tree. And she tried to climb up next to me. I rebuffed her. Told her to behave. And to sit. In English. And she seemed to understand.  I patted her on top the head. She looked up. And maybe smiled.  I’m not sure how a dog smiles. Anyway, I sat there for five minutes. Until another dog, maybe her real boyfriend, came along. And they romped off. Together. And I breathed a sigh of relief.  As I sneaked away. From an overdogging/overbearing  experience.  –Jim Broede

No comments: