Monday, December 17, 2012

My friend Mauro.

My Sardinian friend Mauro Addis always finds a job.  Never out of work. Even when the local economy goes sour. There’s lots of unemployment in the land.  But Mauro always finds a job. Has ever since he was 14. ‘If you really want to work, you can find work,’ Mauro said. ‘Maybe it won’t be very good pay. But it’s work.’  Mauro has been selling vacuum  cleaners. Door-to- door. For two years.  He works on commission. No straight guaranteed salary. Mauro has known lean times. But he always gets by. One way or another.  Because he’s willing to try almost anything. For work.  He’s 33. And single. And seems to be enjoying life. Selling. He’s got me convinced. When I need a new vacuum cleaner, I’ll go to Mauro. Because I like the guy. ‘You’ve planted a seed,’ I told Mauro. ‘Look at it as a long-term investment.  Maybe in three or four years, I’ll need a vacuum cleaner. I’ll buy from you.’  But I have a hunch that Mauro will be doing something else by then. I suggested he might emigrate to America. ‘You’ll be welcome,’ I said, ‘because American business likes industrious  and energetic guys like you. You’ll fit in. And you speak the language.’   I won’t be surprised if in a few years Mauro owns and operates his own successful business. Making nifty profits.  I’ve talked to Mauro several times. Initially, he told me his English wasn’t very good. But it’s much better than he thinks.  Now he welcomes me as a friend. Partly because it gives him a chance to practice English. Meanwhile, I practice  getting to know Mauro. Better and better. If he’s a typical Sardinian, it speaks well for Sardinia. –Jim Broede

No comments: