Friday, January 25, 2013

Imagining: Universal education.

Education. I wanna make it available to everybody. Make education an entitlement program. So that anyone that wants to can go to school. Even to a college or university. Or  a technical school. To learn. Knowledge. A skill. And age wouldn’t matter. Even old  farts like me should be entitled to return to school. To earn a master’s degree. Or a Ph. D. Or for that matter, a skill as a bricklayer or a teacher. Maybe even a philosopher. All  for an affordable nominal fee. Maybe even free for poor people. Yes, let’s at least make education available based on ability to pay. Nobody should be denied ongoing education. Of course, I’m talking about an ideal world. And I’m a romantic idealist. Which means that I can imagine virtually anything. Even universal education. –Jim Broede

No comments: