Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Once a stranger, now my true love

Wish I could approach any Italian I see on the streets, and start a conversation. Unfortunately, I can’t. Unless he/she speaks English.    That’s my major shortcoming. The inability to speak Italian. I’d have to master the language fluently to carry on a decent exchange. And that probably won’t ever happen. But I’m trying to not lament about it. Still learning much about Italy and Italians. By just being here. Furthermore, the Italian experience dictates/influences how I act at home. In America. With my fellow Americans. I’m much more likely to stop a stranger on the street. Talk to him. And learn something significant about him. I’m more outgoing. Maybe it’s the way Italians are. Outgoing. Personable. And I’ve caught the Italian drift.  More than ever, I’ve cultivated a yearning to talk to people. Especially strangers. Funny thing. Conservative parents caution their kids about talking to strangers. Certainly, the same rule shouldn’t apply to adults.   Talking to strangers can be a good thing.   Especially foreigners. I began talking to my Italian true love. Five years ago. When she was a stranger. Yes, now she’s my true love. –Jim Broede

No comments: