Sunday, February 24, 2013

Yes, we're talking real change.

I have a way to make Catholicism a better religion. A more open-minded religion. My picking a non-Catholic layman as the next pope. Give it a try. For a year or two. That would bring great and much-needed changes to Catholicism. I,  for one, would be happy to serve as pope. Maybe for two years. That would be time enough to revitalize Catholicism. We’d have women becoming priests. We’d have married priests. And I don’t mean married to the creator. Yes, we’d no longer call god, god. He’d be the creator. And it wouldn’t matter if creator was spelled with a lower case ‘c.’ Another thing. I’d divest the church of many, many of its treasures and artifacts. And give all those riches to the poor and destitute. Even if they weren’t Catholics. And you know what? I suspect that Jesus would give his approval to all these changes.  I’d soon become known as the ‘new tradition’ pope. The one that brought dramatic change to Catholicism. And to religion, period. Yes, we’re talking real change.   –Jim Broede

No comments: